Jun 20, 201208:54 AMPet Talk
News and info for pet owners in Columbia, Mo.
Kitty, Come Home!
June is Adopt-A-Cat month and the Central Missouri Humane Society (616 Big Bear Blvd.) is doing its part to place as many felines as possible in their “fur-ever” homes. For the rest of the month, all cats three years and older can be adopted for free from CMHS with an approved application. The shelter currently has 24 cats in this age range that are ready to be paired with loving owners. The staff at CMHS says that older cats make great companion animals, but are often overlooked in favor of kittens.
The American Humane Association declared June Adopt-A-Cat Month because the majority of kittens are born in the spring which results in a large increase in cats at local shelters during the summer months. Interested in bringing a cuddly cat home with you? The AHA offers the following checklist for those who want to adopt a cat:
- If you're thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
- Find a cat whose personality complements yours.
- Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
- Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
- Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
- Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
- Cat-proof your home.
- Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
- Be sure to include your new pet in your family’s emergency plan.
- If you’re considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.
For more information on adopting a cat at CMHS visit the website at www.cmhspets.com.